On September 30, 1997, Microsoft released Internet Explorer 4.0 for the Windows platform. On January 6, 1998, was launched a version for Mac OS and on March 4, 1998, was launched a version for Unix.
IE 4.0 contained a wide range of innovations and enhancements such as Active Desktop, Frontpage Express HTML editor, Channels, Netmeeting, NetShow, Web Publishing Wizard, Microsoft Chat 2.0 formerly called Comic Chat, RealPlayer and Outlook Express 4.
- Windows: September 30, 1997
- Mac OS: January 6, 1998
- Unix: March 4, 1998
- Windows 3.1
- Windows 95 and 98
- Windows NT 3.x and 4.0
- At least a 486 processor with a clock speed of 66 Mhz or better is required
- At least 8 MB of RAM for a Windows 95
- At least 16 MB of RAM for a Windows NT
- 11 MB of disk space (minimum for install), 20 MB for the full installation
- Mac OS 7.1 and later
- Free download from Microsoft website