Internet Explorer 5.0
On March 18, 1999, Microsoft released Internet Explorer 5.0. The browser was integrated into the Windows 98 SE operating system, and version 5.01 was part of Windows 2000. In July 2000, Internet Explorer 5.5 was released, integrated into Windows ME. Internet Explorer 5.0 was also tied to Microsoft Office 2000.
At the beginning of 2000, the fifth version of Internet Explorer had more than 50% market share. Internet Explorer 5.0 thus became one of the key participants in the first browser war.
Internet Explorer 5.0 included new and improved features such as increased DHTML and CSS support, IntelliSense, Print Preview, AutoSearch, Windows Radio Toolbar, Offline Browsing, Content Advisor, Web Accessories, Search Assistant, and more.
- March 18, 1999
- Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows NT
- 486DX/66 MHz or higher processor
- 16 MB of RAM minimum (Windows 95 and Windows 98)
- 32 MB of RAM minimum (Windows NT)
- Hard drive space:
- Minimal install (browser-only): required for install: 45 MB, required to run: 27 MB after restart
- Typical install: required for install: 70 MB, required to run: 55 MB after restart
- Full install: required for install: 111 MB, required to run: 80 MB after restart
- Modem or Internet connection
- CD-ROM drive (if installation is done from a CD-ROM)
- Free download from Microsoft website